This week, we’re refocusing ourselves on what matters most for Oregon today: Creating more jobs and higher incomes for Oregonians.
An assessment of where Oregon stands today would show:
- Oregonians are poorer than our neighbors in Washington and the U.S.
- Our 9.6% unemployment rate exceeds the national rate, and our “functional” 19.6% unemployment rate is 4th highest in the U.S.
- We’re getting older as a state, with fewer workers to support the services needed for an aging population
- Oregon’s public pension system is the most expensive in the nation, putting incredible pressure on government budgets
- Healthcare costs threaten to devour our state budget, leaving no room for educational investments
- Our tax system levies some of the highest tax burdens in the U.S. on income and investment – discouraging exactly what we need to fuel economic growth
It’s a toxic mix of policy and events that threatens the future prosperity of every Oregonian.